Friday, January 1, 2016

Daily Journal #103 - A Continuous Practice

In the summer of 2013, a year after stepping onto the mat for the first time, I participated in a Living Yoga Immersion with a gifted and magical teacher named Sarah Clark.  On our first day together, she asked us to "show up honestly and to practice".  I had no earthly idea what she meant but I opened myself up and chose to trust her, follow her, listen to her, and to breathe.  Just breathe for the next four weeks.

On our second day together, Sarah introduced us to the 8 limbs of yoga and taught us that everything we consume becomes us - what we eat, drink, hear, see, our relationships and what we breathe.  In our real lives - interacting with others who view yoga as an excuse to buy overpriced pants and green smoothies or worse, as just some poses before mindlessly existing - "the rub" is the opportunity and "the obstacle" is the path to Jedi Greatness.

As the weeks passed, Sarah showed us how to be skillfully awake in the world, how to notice with our hearts and minds that everything arises, abides, and dissolves.  She taught us how to recognize our breath as a powerful tool that is personal, portable and present.  She made my mind explode when she said, "Every time you blink, you let go."  Let go and drop in to the truth of how things are.

But the point that made my heart crack open was when she highlighted that the work of yoga, the practice of it, is endless.  And yet it is all okay.

You are matter and you matter.

Each of us creates a story about our experiences instead of just experiencing the moment.

Sigh.

The word yoga comes from the root "yuj" which means to unite so in essence yoga means "union" which means intimacy.  When you give up your fixed views, you create intimacy, interconnectedness with...well, everything and everyone.

I suppose the reason that I am thinking about this today is because the New Year represents a new beginning.  Day one of whatever shall be written.  And I think that's pretty exciting and full of possibility.

I think having a magical teacher is just about the greatest gift, and I have never met anyone like Sarah who just exudes loving kindness.  I am so grateful that I met her when I did and that I was open to her teaching.  She changed my life.

A student of mine, who is a senior now, sent me an email over the summer and said that I was his "Sarah Clark".  I texted her a screenshot of the email and she wrote back saying, "Wow, Yolanda.  I'm a 'Sarah Clark'?  Unreal.  Teaching and practice really makes waves out into this world.  It's incredible and humbling.  I love you."

I love her too.

And I love all of you as well.

Happy New Year

 


6 comments:

  1. I fond that to immerse myself in yoga I had to drop all the negativity I had towards it. It is a great practice that is a lot bigger than yoga pants (but, those are great).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about doing daily journals myself, and I believe the time is ripe. Reading all your posts and the talk of New Years resolutions has finally swayed me. Happy New Year!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love yoga so much it brought down my anxiety freshmen year ( I took yoga last year) and I loved it. Namaste! I'm going to troll your blog by the way. #notsorry

    ReplyDelete