Thursday, January 7, 2016

Daily Journal #109 - Birthday Buddy

Many moons ago I taught 9th grade English and I got to meet awesome kids at the beginning of their high school journey.  It was awesome to see them turn into sophomores, then juniors, and finally seniors.  Baby faces morphed into sharp angles and strong jawlines.  Acne riddled skin transformed into a crack-free canvas indicative of youth's beauty.  A few extra pounds melted into muscle as a young adult emerged from childhood.

One year there was a particular student who just lit up the room.  I remember how we met because he had been "kicked out" of his other English class.  Apparently, the teacher didn't like him so the office placed him with me.  He thrust his paper schedule into my hand as way of an introduction, and literally sauntered to a desk.

Who was this kid? And why me?

As the days passed, I came to realize this "shiny penny" and I shared the same birthday.  I came to realize his bravado was hiding a tenderhearted soul.  I came to realize that his sarcasm was laced with an intelligence I could vibe off of.

He made my 4th period class a time of utter joy.

Fast forward a couple years and he was in my class again as a T.A.  And let's be honest, I don't need a T.A. to "assist" me in my classes.  (But I do love that certain students still want to be in class with me even though they could be with one of 90 something other teachers.)

The kid brought the joy still.  Making me laugh, making wise cracks, just filling the room with an energy that could be felt.

There's no stopping time so this beloved graduated and ventured off into life after high school.  We kept in touch - a message every now and again, an email maybe.  And I always thought of him when I added another candle to my cake.  He was my birthday buddy.

I was standing in the hall two years ago when my husband called me over.  I practically skip hopped into his room wondering if he needed help with his computer (again) or if he needed to borrow my keys (again).  Instead, he looked at me and told me my birthday buddy was dead.

And just like that, a light went out.

And it's still out.

And it will always be out.

When I hugged a former student yesterday during lunch, it was like hugging him again because his little brother has the same bravado, the same tenderhearted soul, the same intelligence laced sarcasm.  And if you look at him just right, he has the same face too.

I just know my birthday buddy would be proud of his little bro.  And I just know my birthday buddy sees how proud I am of him too.

8 comments:

  1. What a powerful journal. You know how to see the good in people. I am sure that meant the world to your birthday buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading this, I remembered that we have the same birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your journals are so sweet and this made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This journal touched me and this weather makes one (me) feel extra emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the sweetest and saddest journal all in one. It was really special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Low key broke my heart with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "And just like that, a light went out.
    And it's still out.
    And it will always be out."
    so much truth to those words, I feel a tear coming on for your dim lights and my own.

    ReplyDelete