Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Daily Journal #108 - To the Girl Who Loves the Rain

Dear You,

When you walked into my classroom, I had no idea how four syllables would change my life.  You barely made yourself known, almost hidden in plain sight until you started turning in Timed Writes and presenting.  But what tipped me over the edge was when we began a short little session of journal writing.  I read yours and with each word that my eyes danced across, a space for you in my heart grew bigger and bigger.

I've got a bunch of girls I love as my own, and for that I am eternally grateful, but very few have managed to crack open my soul with their words.  I could go days and days without speaking to you and then BOOM.  You slay me again with the turn of a phrase or the painting of a picture with your stylish syntax.

My dear, you are a gifted writer.

I wish I could tell the whole world what I know about you, what they're missing when they pass you by or stereotype you because a girl as gorgeous as you (and I mean on the outside) isn't supposed to be a superhero - not according to this misogynistic society of high school...world.  A word girl whose lexicon is the most powerful tool, a word girl whose pen is indeed mightier than any sword.  Shakespeare can't hold a candle to you, sugar.

Maybe I wish you could read your words like I do.  Maybe I even wish you could see yourself like I do.  Because you know what you'd see?  The sun and the moon on a swing, almost reaching the stars.

Thank you for being a part of my life especially on days like today when I see fakery and tom foolery abounding, when I see more and more "students" and less and less students pass through my doors.

You are loved.

Your #1 Fan,
Beltran

p.s. - Don't you ever make me stand in line at your book signings.

"Still, I can't help but wonder about kindred spirits.  Some people were born to connect to each other, to love one another."



9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Who ever this is about sounds like she's going to do great things with her life and her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that someday someone has something like this to say about me, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope whoever this is about goes far in life- although it sounds like there's no doubt in anyone's mind that she will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You give the most sincere compliments. I hope whoever this is is aware of how incredible they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely. Whoever this is is doing something right!

    ReplyDelete