Thursday, December 10, 2015

Journal #81 - Redwood Trees

The largest, tallest trees in the world that can live thousands of years?  They're called redwood trees and they are majestic in their beauty and strength.  I've had the honor of standing in their shadows, once as a little girl of 7 and again as a woman of 39.  

When I first stood beneath a redwood's beautiful limbs, hung out in the shadows it cast, I felt safe and protected.  I felt physically small and spiritually big (if that makes sense).  I was in awe of the trees, in awe of their resilient spirit.  Yes the trees are large in size and intimidating to those who first see them, but what I love about the redwood is its living tissue, or core.  This core is called the heartwood. When a redwood tree is damaged, it rebuilds itself from its heartwood. It saves itself from the inside out in a delicate dance nature choreographed.  This tree's real strength doesn't come from its imposing physical presence, it comes from its heartwood.  Its Heart. Wood.  It's heart.  

This tree is humble in its grace.

Outside elements can attack the redwood, fell its soul, but this tree never gives up.  It survives and thrives in the face of an unpredictable, topsy turvy life.  

Today, I sat in the shadow of a redwood tree and as it protected me from nature's elements - saved me from a fall - I once again felt physically small and spiritually big.  

So to my redwood, thank you.  

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing under the shade of giants:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Physically small and spiritually big. Why do I love that idea so much?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things we can learn from nature always amaze me. We are all connected on this Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been but I would really like to see the resilient enormous trees. I've seen picture of then and it just look ridiculous how big they are. I'd like to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when you share your journals. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete