Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Daily Journal #100 - Acceptance & Image


The second definition of the noun "acceptance" is "the action or process of being received as adequate or suitable, typically to be admitted into a group."  


The first definition of the noun "image" is "a representation of the external form of a person or thing in art."

It is almost the end of the calendar year and it is the last year on earth that I will be the age I am now.  It has taken me almost four decades to sit in the "small, quiet room" of acceptance as Strayed calls it.  It has taken me almost four decades to look in a mirror and love the image that I see.

I accept my image as whole and beautiful and perfectly imperfect.  And if that sounds like I'm ego-trippin', careful so you don't fall.  

I spend a lot of time with my daughters (as you can imagine) and a lot of that time is teaching them how to love themselves, own their bodies and their beauty (which we call hard work and kindness and determination).

The other day I overheard Thing 1 talking with Thing 2 in the bathroom.

"It's important to be kind, A."

"Why?"

"Because ugly is as ugly does."

"Oh. Okay, Z."

When you stare in the mirror, I hope you all see the kind of beauty that only gets better with age.

I hope you'll pull up a seat next to me in the small quiet room someday.

I'll be waiting.

P.S. - A little snippet of my favorite Maya Angelou piece...Love, Me (a W-O-M-A-N)

"Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size   
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,   
The stride of my step,   
The curl of my lips.   
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,   
That’s me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,   
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.   
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.   
I say,
It’s the fire in my eyes,   
And the flash of my teeth,   
The swing in my waist,   
And the joy in my feet.   
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,
That’s me..."

(There's more but you should read it on your own.)

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for all these journal post full of knowledge gained through experience. I love reading them everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that poem! Maya Angelou is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Good morning to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All people should be able to lookin the mirror and love what they see. We're all beautiful (despite what magazines say)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my favorite poem by maya Angelou as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your journals, you always have something interesting to say. Hope you're having an excellent break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the piece you shared! I hope you're having a great break and will have a wonderful New Years with those you love.

    ReplyDelete