Saturday, December 19, 2015

Daily Journal #90

When I was in the second grade I realized that my name is perfectly balanced.  My mind was wandering as it usually did as Mrs. Pietro taught us about stuff and I was looking at the schoolwork she had posted on the walls.  I spotted my handwriting and started tripping out on how my first name started with a "Y" and how my last name started with a "B".  Hmpf, I thought.  That's cool.  Next to last letter of the alphabet followed by the second letter of the alphabet.  But then I remember how my head almost exploded when I realized that both my first and last name contained 7 letters.  And that 7 plus 7 was 14.  And anyone who really knows me understands my affinity for even numbers (unless it's a 3 and that's a whole other journal.)  It was then that I decided that my name would always be my name.  If I ever got married, I wouldn't change it.  No way, no how.

My name exists in perfect balance.

When I became engaged at the age of 27 and married at the age of 29, I made a conscious decision to not change my name.  The man I married couldn't have cared less and I think that says a lot about the man I married.  But my goodness, the family could not believe I wasn't changing my name and becoming a "Mrs.".  To this day, we still receive cards and mail addressed to "Mr. and Mrs." and the running joke in our household is, "Who is she?"

I'm not offended when people call me "Mrs." or even refer to me as so-and-so's wife.  I just think it says more about the others than about me.  And isn't that just the way life is?  People show you constantly who they are.  You just gotta pay attention.

So, here's to my name.  And it's harmony.  And to true love that looks nothing like the sugarcoated fairy tales that seduce people.  To love that gets better and stronger with each passing day.  To 17 years and counting.

7 comments:

  1. I share the same thing with my name. It's not perfectly balanced but I have a good reason(I'll write about it in my journal this inspired me) thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, love this journal entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you kept your last name. You've made a choice that all women should be comfortable making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entry has me in a fond mood and now when ever I read your journal entries it's just filled with fond literally.

    ReplyDelete