Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Daily Journal #94 - Star Pizza

Joe's Pizza is the one we always ordered.

Topped with sauteed spinach and garlic it met the dietary requirements and was delicious to boot.  We'd usually sit at a table outside on the patio - the one near the parking lot, the one where you could see Amy's Ice Cream and 59 Diner if you were angled just so.  We'd usually meet there after grad school class so the clock would read 9pm by the time the pie arrived.  We'd laugh about work and the mockery of being teachers at such a young age.  We'd say goodbye in the lot with a quick hug or fist bump and I'd go toward the Astrodome and he'd go toward the Menil.

Those were the days...

At the first mention of Star Pizza, my mind instantly returns to our beginning.  The red plastic glasses, the heavy humidity in the air, the battle over the hot pepper sprinkles because we both love spicy food.

At the first mention of Star Pizza, my heart instantly returns to our beginning.  The random connections despite very different upbringings, the shared love of baseball that I most certainly was not faking, the deep belly laughs that only a best friend (in the making) can elicit.

I'm enveloped in a cloud of nostalgia these days - with the holiday season, birthdays, family, and friends - and to add to it, my current world is colliding with my former one.  It's beautiful.

So to Star Pizza in H-town.  You were where it all began.



11 comments:

  1. there is something so beautifully innocent about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a sweet journal. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an uplifting, simply happy journal! I hope you keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading these. They are so heartwarming

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great things start with simple joys...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so simple. Brought a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of these journal entries. Hope you're having a nice break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this with us Mrs. Beltran! I really miss you and hope you are doing good & enjoying your break! (: xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so precious. Your writing got me feelin' some type of way, Ms. Beltran.

    ReplyDelete