Saturday, December 26, 2015

Daily Journal #97 - Grabbing Coffee

I always run into people I know when I am out and about in the real world. The other day was no exception as I sat at a coffee shop with a couple friends. I saw a beloved skateboarding without a helmet, a former student headed to lunch and a current student getting in his daily run.  But it wasn't these sightings that stuck with me; I remembered the homeless lady who crossed in front of my car as I sat at a red light.

She wore all of her clothes in layers and the outer jacket had the word "Pink" on it.  My mind flitted to dropping hundreds of dollars in that store and not even batting an eye. And it made me feel sad.

And I don't know why.

I know I work hard for what I have, and I know part of my cultural legacy comes from a mother who only had one nice outfit for school.  I know I didn't come from much money, and I know I live in privilege now.

When the light turned green, I turned my head to see the lady one last time.

She pushed her cart and passed a man who was smoking a cigarette.

I drove toward my coffee date, paid more than $5 for my drink and crossed my legs when I sat down.  I owned the space I occupied.  I made eye contact with a man who was working on his laptop. I took my first sip of coffee and waited for my friends.

But then and even now, I can't erase "Pink" from my mind.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing ms Beltran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar moment in downtown yesterday when I passed by a group of homeless men and women. They were laughing despite their difficult conditions and it really made me think

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write. I also love this entry. I feel the need to start naming my journal entries. Also everything starts making you think once you get some coffee. I think so.

    ReplyDelete