Friday, February 12, 2016

Daily Journal #145 - No Filter Needed

My beloved Maya Angleou wrote a piece in her book Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now called "A Day Away" in which she recommends "consciously separating" from your life for just a bit.  I don't necessarily have the luxury of stepping away for long from my duties as a wife and mother, but this morning the universe aligned.

After a great night's sleep (I highly recommend choosing rest - it is so good for your body and your spirit), I dropped off Thing 2 at preschool.  After the most delicious kiss from my baby, I drove to a hipster coffee shop in North Park to meet one of my former students. AB first sat in my third period class in 2012 and despite blending into the crowd at first, she quickly became one of my favorite students.  By the academic year's end, she was a friend and by the time she graduated, I considered her more like a part of my family.  To say she is special to me is an understatement.

The adorable barista at Holsem made my latte, and I sat down to wait for my girl.  Since I always travel with a book and my Moleskin, I took out both and got comfy. AB showed up soon after and we spent a good two hours catching up, laughing, crying, and just being soul to soul.  Before we parted ways, I told her how lucky I felt that our paths crossed so many years ago.  We hugged, we said "I love you", and off I went.

And I just existed without a plan or an agenda.  I ended up taking a picture of the beautiful sky.  I ended up buying a new chapter book for Thing 1.  I ended up getting my groove on to a new playlist.  I ended up just being...all alone yet utterly connected to this beautiful, gorgeous moment in time.

Some visuals below...



1. 
2. 
3.

1.  My natural face after getting a good night's sleep.  
2.  The great book one of my beloveds gifted me...How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are.
3.  The gorgeous San Diego sky.  Wow.

Displaying photo.JPG

“Every person needs to take one day away.  A day in which one consciously separates the past from the future.  Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence.  Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.  Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.” ~Maya Angelou

3 comments: