Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Daily Journal #142 - Pride

Dear Shiny Penny,

I am so very proud of you.  I'm not sure if that means much coming from me, but I feel compelled to tell you anyway.  I think what you discovered and realized is just the beginning of all that is possible for you.  I really do.

Oftentimes when I am asked by peers what I do, and I say that I'm a teacher, I receive mixed reactions.  I guess people assume that I defaulted to my current career when something else didn't work out.  I guess people assume that I'm a pauper pinching pennies to make ends meet.  I guess people assume that I am like the worst teacher they ever had - bitter, grumpy, unkind.

I remember my first faculty meeting.  There I sat at the tender age of 22 among colleagues twice my age.  I didn't have a sweater on, I didn't have a tote bag, and I most certainly didn't dislike kids.  I thought for sure I was better than these people and my arrogance likely perfumed the entire room as my ego got in the way of the opportunity I had to teach inner city kids.

Oh, my, how times have changed.  I feel so grateful to do what I love, and I live for moments like today.  Yes, yes, there are complete milk toast students in my midst and uncool kids to the n-th degree in some of my classes, but then there are the shiny pennies like you who just blow my mind.

I saw something in you - probably the first week of school - or maybe after your first email to me.  At any rate, I saw something that caught my eye and it wasn't what you look like or how you dress or carry yourself.  I saw potential.  I saw someone who just needed a shot at becoming.

As I listened to you today and heard your words, I saw you walking on the path out of the swampland.  I saw you dismantling the house you built in the muck.  With each revelation, a brick was demolished and with each pause of recognition, a room was upended.

Love liberates, Shiny Penny.  It doesn't bind.  Believe that I am not wrong when I say that you are more than you give yourself credit for.

I am not your mama but if I were, I would give you the biggest hug and hold you for as long as I could in a safe embrace of acceptance and understanding.

You MADE MY DAY today, and for that, I thank you.

xoxo

1 comment: