Sunday, February 7, 2016

Daily Journal #140 - Community

I usually type while sitting at the kitchen table and from my vantage point, I can see straight out of the front door.  Right now, I can see neighbor Chris across the street setting up his canopy and grill for his Super Bowl party this afternoon and if I stretch to my left and peer out of the window, I can see our other neighbor Chris setting up the projector in his garage and the coolers in his driveway.  That Super Bowl party is getting organized too.

The funniest thing about our neighbors is that the ones in closest proximity to us are all named Chris.  Chris and Gina across the street, Chris and Gina to the right and Chris and Sara to the left.  In fact, the neighbors who used to live in the other house across the street are named D'Ann and Chris.  But that little God wink is but one example of how magical this street is.

When we first moved here, I felt like we walked onto the set of Leave it to Beaver.  Or maybe the set of Cheers where everybody knows your name.  The houses are precious and the neighborhood is peaceful, yes, but it's the people that make this block unreal.  Joe, the first homeowner on the street (he was here in 1956 when the first houses went up and when the road got paved.) throws an annual block party for the kids complete with a dunk tank, bouncy houses, and honest to goodness barbeque.  Ryan and Ian will randomly text and say, "Hey, come by for dinner."  We walk Harvey, the neighbor's dog, as if he is our own and I am never surprised when I walk into the kitchen and see him sniffing around.  In fact, I am never surprised when one of the neighbors is in the living room sharing a laugh or when I see someone from across the street coming over with a pot roast because they know I have a full time job and two young kids.

I mean, our first Christmas here, I was baking some cookies for Santa and I literally needed a teaspoon of baking soda.  I took the scoop, walked next door, and Chris hooked me up.  My mom was flabbergasted.  And it's just a rule that when you're headed to the store, you ask if anybody else needs anything.

To me, this community, this sangha, of people from all walks of life who co-exist peacefully in a busy city is magical.  That we ride bikes together, walk each other's dogs, share meals and laughter is what I think is missing in today's society.  We are meant to be with others.  We are meant to be social creatures.  We are meant to be a part of each other's lives.

When August first learned how to ride her bike without training wheels, she jetted down the sidewalk to the cheers of not only her family but of Joe, of all the Chrises, of Larry, of Ryan and Ian, of Mr. Williams and of Coach George.  The smile on her face was ear-to-ear and I like to think that's because it takes a village.

I am forever grateful we found one on a sweet street in sunny San Diego.

1 comment:

  1. You have no clue how glad I am that you are still posting your Daily Journals!!

    ReplyDelete