Thursday, February 11, 2016

Daily Journal #144 - Gratitude

I am very grateful today for many things.  I am grateful that I rose to greet another day because there was a time six and a half years ago when even that was not a given.  I am grateful that a beloved gifted me homegrown avocados that were utter perfection on top of some scrambled eggs.  (I am forever a fan of breakfast for dinner.)  I am grateful for how my body works.  My functional body allowed me to run down the street behind my child as she rode her bike this afternoon.  My functional body allowed me to jump rope in the driveway and to smell Joe's cigar from across the street.  My functional body allowed me to "dance" to Bruno Mars and nothing makes me happier than a dance party.

I am grateful for the Valentine's gifts I received today - one from a student whose words inspire me to be the best version of myself, and one from a student who has revealed himself through each of his presentations in class.  They both have no idea how positively their kindness enveloped me.

I am grateful that I am considered a "trusted adult" at PLHS.  Apparently there's a list in my mailbox that proves that I - along with another teacher - are two of the most trusted adults on campus.  And while that is a heavy burden to bear, it also makes me feel as light as the breeze currently wafting across my legs.  

I am grateful that I have one living parent who texts me every morning to wish me a good day, and that I have an older sister who still takes care of me like she did when we were younger.  I am grateful for meaningful hugs from other sentient beings and sustained eye contact that reminds me we are more alike than different despite our meatsuits.  I am grateful that I am loved, adored, and seen by a plethora of people.

I am grateful that I am open, vulnerable, and strong.  I am grateful for this very moment sitting at the kitchen table across from Aug Pie. I am grateful.

So a huge thank you to the magic that surrounds me and protects me and knows just what I need and when I need it.  I started paying attention a long time ago, and I am blinded by the beauty that I see.

With gratitude.  

P.S. - a new non-school blog is in the making...kind of exciting!


1 comment:

  1. Love you Ms B! Hope you got to watch the new episode of Grey's tonight❤️

    ReplyDelete