Monday, October 16, 2017

Kudos to You

Hi, Lovelies -

Thank you for your attention to Ms. Meier today as she did her lesson on annotating with the excerpt from Pride and Prejudice.  Access to the powerpoint can be accessed HERE.  Make sure to look at it if you were absent or you just want to review.

As a "student" in the back, it was GREAT to hear some new voices especially in period 1.  YES.  And as a "student" in the back, it was awesome to see that a majority of you had annotated the devices document posted Friday and had flashcards.  If you weren't prepared, make sure you show up prepared tomorrow.

If you liked the Austen excerpt, check her out.  She was a rockstar writer and super snarky in her snappy syntax.  Everything is recycled and repurposed so Emma and the movie "Clueless" and Pride and Prejudice and the movie "Bridget Jones Diary" are the same story.  Also, keep in mind that AP Central looooooooves Jane Austen.  (By the way, anyone pick up on the connection between Austen as a pop culture icon and another rhetor who was all about pop culture??)

Anyhoo, show up tomorrow for TED Talk Tuesday with your precis or "fancy thinking" on the Austen piece.  Ms. Meier expects it in the class tray.

On Wednesday, you need to show up with 2 copies of APPROPRIATE song lyrics.  One copy should be the regular one that has stanzas/chunks.  The second copy should have NO line breaks on it.  If this doesn't make sense, ask in class tomorrow, okay?

This week we won't be hosting SAS (it will resume on the 27th) but you will be presenting a little something something based on Wednesday's lesson regarding song lyrics.

I think I've blathered on long enough.  BUT SUPER PROUD OF WHAT I SAW TODAY.  AP STUDENTS YOU ARE BECOMING.

Love and Light,
Beltran

Today's Song: "All By Myself" Celine Dion and (for Period 4 & 5) the dance scene from "Pride and Prejudice"




25 comments:

  1. Very excited for the Ted Talk tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed class today but I enjoyed the powerpoint, and this song lyrics thing seems interesting. Looking forward to the TED Talk tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to Ted Talk Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to find out what we will be doing with our songs on Wednesday. I already have my song picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane Austen. What an icon. Loved the lesson today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today’s class was so fun, I liked reading the small part from Pride and Prejudice, I definitely will read the book now. I can’t wait for the TED talk tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excited to learn more about the song lyric project and the TED Talk tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. feel myself slowly learning to annotate, slowly but surely....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I want to watch Bridget Jone's Diary and see if I can pick up the allusions from Pride and Prejudice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy that I'm able to learn about the rhetorical devices and be able to use them while reading. My reading comprehension is getting so much better knowing about this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm starting to make more and more connections with our devices and different pieces we are reading. Practice practice practice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know which song to choose...so many different ways I can go with this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the presentation ms Meier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm finding that reading with a rhetorical devices sheet handy is the best way to practice and learn them. Recognizing them in literature is a skill that is developed just like any sport!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was really fun rereading this small piece from Pride and Prejudice and seeing just how much we missed the first time around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great piece of writing today! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All in favor of a 19th century flash-mob say "I"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excited for the ted talk tomorrow. I'm really hoping our class can continue to bring our best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Today was a good day and I thought class went much better than usual. Very intrigued as to why we have to pick song lyrics...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Klosterman and Austen loved their pop culture haha. I have always had Pride and Prejudice as an option to read but was intimidated because others seemed to not like it. I will definitley check it out now :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excited for the TED talk talk tomorrow! Sad I missed a day :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cool being able to be taught from two teachers, really looking forward to tomorrows TED talk!

    ReplyDelete