Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Fault Lines

Today we got the opportunity to dance, connect and read a fabulous piece from Meena Alexander.  Any of you absent can grab a hard copy tomorrow.

Make sure you examine the rhetorical devices in the piece and consider how the fractured self is represented in not only Alexander's stylistic and rhetorical choices but in her arrangement of the piece as well.

I got to be a student in periods 4 and 5 today since Ms. Meier took the reins, and I have to say, I had fun thinking and discussing.  So shout out to the groups that let me join them.  Thank you.

Tomorrow, have the text annotated.  You will be working in groups to flesh out a rhetorical precis.  And just as you wouldn't show up to a party undressed, don't show up to class unprepared.

Love and Light,
Beltran

Today's Songs (depending on class period): MKTO "Classic" or The Beatles "Yellow Submarine"

P.S. - Rupi Kaur's new book came out yesterday...Sigh.

14 comments:

  1. I really liked the reading today and I thought it was interesting the way Meena Alexander used the different rhetoric devices in her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was ironic that Ms. Meier was wearing a Beatle's shirt today hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found it interesting how in the last paragraph of her essay, she had a switch in her point of view various amounts of time. She went from “i thought.. that’s all I am...” to, “a woman...her words...”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't let my friends touch my new copy of Rupi Kaur's NEW book, but during lunch we read "Milk and Honey" aloud to each other. I had a lot of fun because all my friends are very open to talking about the serious topics the book contains, but we overall all agree that Rupi is a great writer and a hell of a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the song classic stuck in my head two weeks ago, now you went and got it stuck again... but that's ok because a frickin love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already ordered Rupi Kaur's new book on amazon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the heck!! I love those songs. Stupid sickness. Can’t wait to be back tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked how the excerpt gave different ways she changed her personality according to where she moved and had to change I’m not to sure but I thought it had a connection to the 2016 movie split

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paying that extra money for quicker shipping IS WORTH IT when it comes to Rupi Kaur.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My copies of "Milk and Honey" came in the mail today, along with "Tiny Beautiful Things" and "The Opposite of Loneliness." Can't wait to start reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait wait to get the 2 books by Kaur, everyone I know loves anything written by her!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved getting to think and break down how Alexander wrote this piece. Can't wait for class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today's piece made me think back to the essay "Mother Tongue" by Amy Tan. Hmmm connections!!

    ReplyDelete