Monday, September 11, 2017

A Random Post from Me to You

Sherenia Sykes told me during my first year of teaching that my kindness should never be mistaken for weakness.  She had a gold tooth and hair extensions that alternated between pink and purple and blue every day that ended in "y". 

Sherenia and Smokie would walk me to my car each afternoon in the Houston heat just to make sure some of the "unsavory" characters would leave me alone.  So unlike my colleagues who suffered concussions and slashed tires, I made it through the year untouched. (Unless you count my heart, which shattered on a daily basis at the inequality of the educational system depending on your zip code.)

That first class I taught back in 1998 taught me how to be a teacher.  How the deepest, most sincere form of love is high expectations.  I never let those kids in Room 109 slip up on homework or not read or not be prepared for class.  No matter what, those lovelies knew I believed in them and would push them.  I would be different from their "normal" teachers who just wanted to get through the day.

Please hear me when I say that any of you who are feeling unnerved by the demands of the class, sit in that discomfort.  And recognize that I should not be the first teacher to show you how to mark a book or the importance of reading or how to be an active participant in your education.  If I am, I'm so sorry.  On behalf of all apple eating, cardigan wearing, tote bag toting teachers, I am sorry.

You will rise to the expectations of this class because I know you can.

The opposite of love is indifference, and you are loved. 




9 comments:

  1. there are still good people in this world

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for being the first English teacher I've had at PL to want their students to succeed in English

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cardigan wearing teachers was almost too true lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach it Beltran. This was pretty touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for not only saying, but showing that you care about us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the cliffs and finished an entire book in one sitting, which is very unlike me (granted...it was a play - A Raisin in the Sun) and I can already see the changes this class is making for me not only as a student but as a human being. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the first English teacher who has actually cared about educating us beyond basic, required curriculum. It's refreshing and very appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a beautiful soul, Beltran. I'm lucky to have been able to have experienced your class for a whole year and bask in the love!
    Kiddos, don't forget to appreciate every moment you have in this class.

    ReplyDelete