Tuesday, November 10, 2015

In Praise of the Ordinary Child/TED Talk Tuesday/Random Thoughts

**Updated:  Hope the new TED link works.  Let me know.  xoxo

The Matthew Effect is beginning to spread...can you feel it?  sense it?  I can and it's both inspiring and a bummer.  Those who dared greatly from the beginning are seen more than those who didn't.  Those who fostered a relationship with their teacher are beginning to enjoy the fruits of that labor.  Those who were ready for AP Language are beginning to take flight and as Vonnegut would say, so it goes.

So it goes.

Thank you to those of you who had your Adler text marked up and thank you to those of you who are consistently writing quality journals that feed my mind and reveal bits of your personality.  You are a joy.

Now to business, today's TED Talk is a doozy and it's quite appropriate that you have to watch it on your own because it's a bit longer than most.  Chimamanda Adiche - remember her?  She delivered a great TED Talk at TEDx Euston and it's about why we should all be feminists.  I am asking you to watch it, take quality notes (like the example I passed out a while back) and come to class next Monday with them (the quality notes).

As for the Time article (posted and linked yesterday), make sure you read and mark it up, draw a Rhetorical Triangle in the margins somewhere and email me by midnight your responses/reactions to Kluger's claim/assertion.  EMAIL me, please.  No google document.

And for those interested, a very cool video that connects quite nicely with the Time article.  Thanks SU.

Thursday in class you are expected to arrive with Chapter 6 Harlan. Kentucky marked up as Adler would expect.  Be ready to discuss the contents of the chapter as well as any outside research you conducted because of your hunger and curiosity to be an informed citizen of planet Earth.

Friday is SAS.  Friendly reminder:  Start your presentation with a greeting, make valuable connections to the material you're presenting (answering the So What? question on our minds...So What?  Who cares that the Sky Roof is a thing?) and be sure to end your presentation with a "Thank you" not an "oh, um, so yeah".

xoxo

"You can't ride to the fair unless you get on the pony." ~ Cheryl Strayed

12 comments:

  1. I've heard about this one! Excited to watch it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humans being the new horses- makes more sense than not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the lesson today! I am definitely going to have my parents read the time article. Have a great Veterans Day off tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote at the end was great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms. Beltran, I hope the rest of your day is going well and you get to see your darling little girls. I just wanted to let you know that the link for the TED talk is not working. I'm excited to watch this TED talk though! Have a great rest of your day! See you Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a nice veteran's Day. Mrs. Beltran See you Thursday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sky roof! Honestly was laughing so hard when I so that, my gut started to hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved today's lesson can't wait until to see the Ted talk! See you Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the "In Praise of The Ordinary Child" article, along with yesterdays lesson. I can't wait to watch Chimamandas TED talk! so excited! I hope you're enjoying your Veterans Day off, see you tomorrow(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. For just a pure dance song we should listen to Boombastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love love love this TED talk! It's the one I talked about for my first stuff about stuff and I'm so excited for everyone else to watch it : )

    ReplyDelete