Thursday, September 17, 2015

SAS Tomorrow

Hi All -

Tomorrow is your first opportunity to share your Stuff About Stuff.  In an effort to help those of you who are struggling or need more guidelines, I am posting below my example that I'll be sharing tomorrow.  Feel free to listen to the story if you can't wait.

If I were you, I would use the example as a guide for your own work.  I'd write out everything you want to say and then I would practice.  If your nerves get the best of you tomorrow, then at least you will have something tangible you can read to us or email/show me as proof you did the work.

Make sure you have your SAS journal as well.  I'm excited to see them.

xoxo

Example:

Hi everybody.  Happy Friday!  I'm Ms. Beltran. I'd like to present today about one of my favorite sources of information - NPR.  

National Public Radio is just ridiculously good.  I listen to NPR everyday on my way to work and I follow them on Twitter and check their website often.  It seems to be a source of unbiased, credible information and it feeds my brain.

One of my favorite programs on NPR is called Story Corps and it runs every Friday at 7:30am.  (I know most of you are already in class by then, but you can access all of NPR's shows online.)  Story Corps travels the country collecting the stories of everyday people, who get to take the microphone and interview each other about their lives. 

In March of this year, a man named Albert Sykes interviewed his nine year old son Adien in Jackson, Mississippi.  The interview is so heartfelt and focuses on their relationship.  The part I found most compelling is Albert's answer to his son's question regarding his wishes for his son's future.  So many of us never take the time to ask our parents what they really want for us, and sometimes we miss our opportunity.

Each of us needs to walk through life with vulnerability, and what Albert conveys to his son is very similar to the lesson Dr. Brene Brown supports in her TED Talk "The Power of Vulnerability".  

I encourage each of you to listen to the program.  I've linked it below.

Thanks for listening and have a great weekend.

NPR Story Corps

17 comments:

  1. "You're not done until you've said 'thank you'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mrs. Beltran. We are in a lockdown right now, so be safe. Also, I was wondering if we have to share one specific thing for SAS or if we can share multiple things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left your class just a few minutes before the lockdown started I'm so sad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we allowed to use your computer to look up videos or anything of that sort during our presentation for our topic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm beyond stoked to be your TA this year and can't wait to see what 3rd period has to share tomorrow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the guidelines! Also, it sucked that 6th period missed your class because of the lockdown. I hope we can go over the 9 Rhetors assignment sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait for SAS tomorrow a bit nervous

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so sad that my period didn't get to see you yesterday! I was really looking forward to sharing my question and answers (and I never look forward to presenting) so I hope we get to share it some other time! I also can't wait for our first SAS tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This helped me so much can't wait to see what everyone has to share tomorrow, See you third period!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How long is our video allowed to be?! And glad everyone is safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SAS is so great and SO HELPFUL (in class and in life), so put effort into your "stuff" and have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete