Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Timed Writes in Class and A Song

Thanks for writing today in class.  I look forward to seeing what your minds created. FOR CLASS TOMORROW, have the model essay packet printed out - pages 3, 4, 5, and 11 ONLY.

As a heads up for the rest of the week, SAS is on Friday.  Make sure you're being kind when it comes to helping everyone achieve success.  I don't think looking out for just yourself and your grade is the way to be an "A" student in room 853. 

Tomorrow we will be peer editing your essays from today so make sure you have a different color pen to use - purple, red, green, etc.

And for clarification on Interesting Stuff Journals, here's the deal in case you missed it:  You are expected to write every day about something you find interesting.  That doesn't mean you are writing about what happens to you that day.  Though oftentimes your entries will overlap, this assignment is about being awake in the world.  Noticing and paying attention.  Your brain requires just as much nourishment as the rest of your body (and please, science peeps, I am not looking for a discussion about whether or not that is biologically correct).  So write and create and make your Interesting Stuff journal into something Marina Keegan would admire.  Make sure YOU DATE YOUR ENTRIES.

My entries from yesterday: "Lisa", "Conversation at Lunch", "Lyrics to Kansas City", "Teachers I've Worked With" and "Before I Forget".  It's not rocket science.  It just requires actually doing something outside of a class that requires your awareness, attention, and acumen.

Enjoy the day and all it affords,
Beltran

P.S. - You should be reading East of Eden.  In fact, you should be finished right about now (especially since I told you in September to read the book...)  Make sure you come back to class after Spring break with a text that is OWNED - marked up, post-it "noted", etc.  You will need to prove you read to me...that means have the book actually read by MONDAY, APRIL 3rd.  

P.P.S. - Check out "Drift Away"...


26 comments:

  1. drift away was one of the first songs I ever learned the lyrics to...one of dad's old favorites

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole idea behind music is much more than just sound, it can become an experience far beyond just listening, and that's what this song embodies. Simple and good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Give me the beat boys and free my soul..." Music is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Kansas City was soo good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear that song all the time and never knew who it was by):

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like so much just happened in this post

    ReplyDelete
  8. was extremely distracted by that adorable puppy today...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait where am I? Oh, sorry I got lost in your rock n roll

    ReplyDelete
  10. We should be reading the book a second time

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't quite know what "acumen" meant..
    Acumen: the ability to make good judgements and quick decisions

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finishing East of Eden before you said we should have finished reading it might be the greatest accomplishment of my life truly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Kansas City and all the other songs on the album too! Thanks for exposing us to such awesome music!

    ReplyDelete
  14. East of Eden is actually terrible

    jk I <3 it

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Day after day I'm more confused. " is such a great starter. It describes me so well. Especially in math class.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really enjoying East of Eden, Steinbeck is an artist! Marina Keegan is inspiring to me, her book is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the new basement tapes will change your life it has been confirmed

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a beautiful, sweet sense of nostalgia when I listen to a song I didn't realize was played to me in my infancy. The notes shaped me just as much as rocking chairs and Dave Matthews and playing in the sun. It's like coming home and not realizing that I left.

    ReplyDelete