Friday, March 10, 2017

Radical Acts of Empathy

Dear Lovelies,

Happy Friday.  How did Jordan do?  Was it fabulous????  I hope you had a good day at school and were able to enjoy your hours of learning.  I certainly missed my normal Friday full of laughter and feeding my brain, but I'm sure you survived.

Jazmin inspired me with her SAS yesterday and I got to thinking of generating a book list for those of you who are interested in further feeding your brain and prepping for the AP Language test...and for life, if you ask me.  There's nothing scarier than an empty mind and an empty soul...

So, if you are inclined, take a lookie loo at the list below and read if you want.  Or not.  These are some of my favorites and they represent a literary canon that is quite reflective of my personal bias as an educated woman of color.  Most of these books and authors were introduced to me by teachers and professors and/or former teachers/professors in my life.

Happy Reading!
Beltran

p.s. - I won't be asking if you read any of these for a grade but for those of you interested in prepping for the exam, I will quote a Cal student who scored a 5 on the exam a couple years ago.  "There is no systematic way to prepare for this test other than to read."  (A few test prep books wouldn't hurt either but the real work is on your shoulders for we can't turn the class into a dungeon of doom...)

A Feed Your Brain/Feed Your Soul Book List
AKA Engaging in Radical Acts of Empathy

Toni Morrison – any novel
Zora Neale Hurston – Their Eyes Were Watching God
Richard Wright – Native Son
Rudolfo Anaya – Bless Me Ultima
Sandra Cisneros – The House on Mango Street
Ha Jin – Waiting
Lorraine Hansberry – A Raisin in the Sun (a play)
Khaled Hosseini – A Thousand Splendid Suns
Gish Jen – Typical American
Jane Smiley – A Thousand Acres
Joyce Carol Oates – We Were the Mulvaneys
Amy Tan – The Joy Luck Club
Barbara Kingsolver – any novel though I’m partial to The Poisonwood Bible, The Bean Trees and Prodigal Summer

Alice Walker – The Color Purple

21 comments:

  1. Jordan did really amazing. He was the only junior there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Jazmin! Heard it was touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't know where to begin. So many books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make a fund for books.
    Also, I think I might start sharing at poetry club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Jazmin! Wish I could have been there to watch & listen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard good things, I was forbidden to go though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. The symposium was a BLAST, I am so happy periods 5+6 got to see it. Thank you to everyone for the really kind words. I wish you could have been there Beltran.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spent this weekend in the book store due to this list you posted. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could've seen the poetry slam but they wouldn't let me in :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for the list!! it was much needed!! period 3 miss you!

    ReplyDelete