Thursday, January 19, 2017

Thursday Thoughts

Hi, Lovelies -

It was nice seeing you today...

I know I am a bit obsessed with books and that not everyone loves to read like me but for those of you on the "dark side" of staying up too late to read "just one more chapter", enjoy this article.  Regardless of your politics, aren't you interested in reading the same books as the 44th president? I know I am!

Starting tonight, and for the rest of the time you are enrolled in my class, THE FOLLOWING IS YOUR HOMEWORK:  Read for pleasure for at least 15 minutes each night.  Do it! It's an act of radical empathy; it opens you up, you'll learn, you will BECOME.  If you need any suggestions, we are going to be taking a survey on Monday and Tuesday that will shed some light on what books would be in your wheelhouse.  Plus I will help you.  Just ask.  Stop by at lunch or advisory...

For Finals Day, be prepared to articulate the following (NO MORE THAN 5 MINUTES PLEASE):
  • Your Issue
  • Cite your 6 sources
  • Summarize 1 source
  • Share your current opinion (and if it's been altered since you began)
AND YOU WILL BE TURNING IN YOUR INTERESTING STUFF JOURNAL/SPIRAL.
 
That's it!  We will write essays galore semester 2.  Promise.

Enjoy the rest of your day and I look forward to a great (and final) SAS for semester 1.

xoxo

P.S. - Get some rest.  Sleep is when your body heals.  An extra hour of sleep improves your productivity.  So, tonight (after you prep your lemon wedges for the morning) read for 15 minutes and GO TO SLEEP. 

22 comments:

  1. You have me hooked on some Stevie Wonder <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your class is hard, and I laugh at anyone who thinks it's easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom always tells me to drink lemon water in the morning. Here's an article she sent me a while back on the benefits of lemon water!
    http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/benefits-of-lemon-water#4

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having "honey honey, I can see the stars all the way from here" stuck in my head since Tuesday when you played Queen B !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its cool that I can read the same books that Obama has read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try out the lemon water tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kind of excited to read tonight! This is a big help in wanting to start reading again like we use to when we were younger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone is looking for recommendations for books, I'd LOVE to share some of my favorites with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does warm lemon coconut water have the same affect as plain lemon water?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does East of Eden count as reading for pleasure?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sleeping is the only homework I like doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you guys liked Malcolm Gladwell,I recommend to read "What the Dog Saw" It's a collection of all his favorite articles that he wrote and he truly puts you in the mind of someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Randomly checked your blog today, it warms my heart to see how great your new classes are, miss you❤️

    ReplyDelete