Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The "F" Word

Feminism.

Indeed, a hot topic but one that is fundamental to discuss.  The two speakers you watched today define themselves as feminists.  Do you?

I hope you enjoyed the cadence, rhythm and flow of Yara Shahidi and Sarah Kay.  Rewatch both and feed your brain.  You can access Kay's TED Talk here and Shahidi's acceptance speech here.

For tomorrow, you will need a copy of Cofer's text.  If for some reason the link doesn't work, just google "The Myth of the Latin Woman" by Judith Ortiz Cofer.

I'll see y'all tomorrow for more learning and steps toward the intersection of ability and courage.

Love and Light,
Beltran

Today's Song: "It's The Same Old Song" The Four Tops

P.S. - For some viewing fun, Oprah answering questions backstage after her Golden Globes acceptance speech.

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what we do with the text

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The key to fulfillment to success,happiness,contentment in life is when you align personality with what your soul actually came to do" - Oprah

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A sloe-eyed dark woman shadows me.

    In the morning she sings

    Spanish love songs in a high

    falsetto, filling my shower stall

    with echoes.

    She is by my side

    in front of the mirror as I slip

    into my tailored skirt and she

    into her red cotton dress.

    She shakes out her black mane as I

    run a comb through my closely cropped cap.

    Her mouth is like a red bull’s eye

    daring me.

    Everywhere I go I must

    make room for her; she crowds me

    in elevators where others wonder

    at all the space I need.

    At night her weight tips my bed, and

    it is her wild dreams that run rampant

    through my head exhausting me. Her heartbeats,

    like dozens of spiders carrying the poison

    of her restlessness,

    drag their countless legs

    over my bare flesh."

    Bless Judith Ortiz Cofer for daring to say what too many Latinas feel in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very powerful and awakening acceptance speech by Yara taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the videos this week have been so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

  6. “Culture does not make people. People make culture. If it is true that the full humanity of women is not our culture, then we can and must make it our culture.” -- Chimamanda Adichi.

    So true. So powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved today's ted talk and the message was very inspiring to me, I feel like I still need to reach that first step, "I can."

    ReplyDelete