Friday, January 26, 2018

The End of Semester 1

It's hard to believe the semester is over when (at least for me) it feels like it just started.  But here we are.  Only 18 more weeks together to learn and grow and become (assuming you are willing since learning and growing and becoming = hard work). 

When I was making breakfast this morning I started thinking about how it is that I know how to do anything.  How do I know how to make breakfast or wash my clothes or change a tire or budget money or store my jewelry in a safe place or remove a stain from clothing or show up on time?  Every single answer circled back to my mom and the other adults in my life.  It made me think of James Baldwin's quote: "Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." 

I didn't grow up with much in the way of money or material objects but I had a slew of positive role models - men and women who worked hard, who provided as best they could for their families, who were generous and kind, who did the right thing even when no one was looking.  I had a perch of privilege when it came to how to handle your business, how to conduct yourself with honor, how to "carry the water" yourself.  And thank goodness for that. 

My sister and I fund a scholarship each year for PLHS that bears our grandmother Soledad's name.  She couldn't read and could barely sign her own name.  But that didn't stop her from raising a strong daughter (my mother) who vowed her children's education would always come first even if it meant dragging her bone-tired self to the library so her daughters could check out some books or (pre-Internet) look up facts in encyclopedias for their school reports.  So now that my sister and I are "successful", we do what we saw when we were younger:  we give.  We give of our time, our money, our Selves. 

I'm not quite sure why all these thoughts are swirling about in my head - maybe I've been thinking about all the books I've read and how my literacy became a watershed moment in the trajectory of my life.  Maybe I want that for all of you regardless of your beginning as a student/reader.  Maybe I want to erase what did not happen in your previous English classes.  Or maybe I just want you to see an example of the power of education.  That my two children know nothing but comfort and privilege astounds me. 

At any rate, second semester is around the corner.  Who I am will not change.  Who you are?  We shall see.

(And since it's beginning, do what my AP students do...FEED YOUR BRAIN.)

Thank you for a solid first semester.  I am grateful I get to teach you. 

Love and Light,
Beltran

Today's Song: "Shining Star" Earth Wind and Fire

5 comments:

  1. And the days go forth, we will strive further as students, leaders, the generation which will serve their right of change, and most essentially, as individuals. A toast to the end of a productive and uplifting first semester. And another to one last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a great first semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully Semester 2 is just like semester 1, wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete