Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Tuna Fish

Today you met Benjamin Zander, author, composer, and all-around inspiring human being.  In his TED Talk (that you can access here) he theorizes the value of classical music.  He reminds us all to stop "playing" on impulse and to be mindful of who we are "being".

The part that gets me every single time is the anecdote he shares at the end of the talk.  Recounting the survivor of Auschwitz, he cautions us to be mindful of the "last" words we say.  When we lost my mom (quite unexpectedly and quickly), life became a blur.  But one thing I did remember from that challenging time was the last conversation I had with her.

Without going into too much detail, I will say she was wearing a mask so her voice was muffled.  We talked about dinner.  My sister and I were leaving the ICU and before we left and said "I love you", I asked her if I could make some tuna fish. She nodded.

Tuna fish.  Of all the things.  My last conversation.

I hope you can appreciate what Zander is trying to impart.  Take from it what you will and consider it another Lego piece.

Love and Light,
Beltran

Today's Song: "Dancing in the Moonlight" King Harvest

4 comments:

  1. The ted talk was cool but the last anecdote got me too. Hopefully my long writing I did doesn’t bore you-
    Bryce Alvar

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite TED Talk so far, I really enjoyed how different it was and how it incorporated an interest of mine. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to dancing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your strength and courage Beltran. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look at life so differently everyday that I step foot out of your classroom it’s amazing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete