Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Final Post

Dear Class of 2018,

The first post I wrote to you came on August 29, 2016.  It said, "Welcome to AP Language, lovelies.  It shall be an amazing year.  Trust me."

And I think it was.

Before I sign off for the last time with my signature "love and light", I want to say a couple of things.

Your TED Talks (as in all of you who presented these past several days)...THANK YOU.  No class has ever come close to the bar you set, and I will forever be mindful of the courage and vulnerability it took for each of you to "enter the arena". We created a safe space and it showed.

I am grateful for that.

As I sit here reflecting, though, I can't help but think of how badly I want to text my mom and send her pictures of gifts or cards...how badly I want to call her and tell her I did it - year 19 is in the books.  I think of how proud she would be of me because we have come a helluva long way from where we started...she taught me how to be a strong woman.  Without her, I wouldn't be me and then your experience this past year would not have happened.

I know that.  And I also know that she would have chuckled at some of the shade that was thrown my way.  She would have given me a hug after telling her of the adults decades older than me and the kids who weren't even alive when I stepped into my first classroom who made it a point this year to throw shade.  She would have brushed my hair off my shoulder and said, "Well, you can't turn off the sun." Ain't that the truth? Especially when it shines within and when it starts to shine around you too.  I saw some of you just freakin' light up this year - a thousand splendid suns in Room 853 who grew toward the light and didn't stay content with what you were "used to".  A thousand splendid suns who weren't afraid of a woman with a voice and a brain and a whole heart that's tattered and scarred from life.

Thank you to those of you (likely the readers of this blog) who OPENED YOUR HANDS.
Thank you to those of you who DARED GREATLY.
Thank you to those of you who FORGAVE MY HUMANITY and LOVED ME ANYWAY.

I have cried every day since my mother's death last May.

Today is the first day my tears were not from grief.

That is all because of you.

Love and Light,
Beltran

P.S. - Read and write and feed your brains...Go make the world a better place with your radical acts of kindness and empathy.

40 comments:

  1. Love on top always Ms. B <3!! You will forever be a role model. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to miss this class and the pancakes <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the SAS
    Thank you for the Emails
    Thank you for the opportunities

    Thank you for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post, this year, these people, these connections, the LOVE that has come out of the four walls of AP Lang. These are the things that I will never forget about junior year and the class of 2018. I see you, thanks for seeing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would wanna look away? Love you and your confidence<3

      Delete
  5. I love you Beltran!! This post made me cry but then I realized I'll still see you next year <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Period 3 is a village and '18 is a village (go Yana!) Much respect for this post and love for all of you who loved me back. Find me at the beach this summer and let's have a deep existential convo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I walked into your class August 29th, I had no idea how lucky I was to be there. Thank you for everything:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speechless... Just so much love. Thank you period 3, I'm beyond blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. People are like plants
    They grow towards the light :)

    Thank you Beltran ❤.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most meaningful class I have ever taken. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will never forget this class at all. I love you Beltran and thank you for allowing me to be myself and allowing me to be who I really am <3 you will forever be a role model to me!
    PANCAKES FOREVER !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heartbroken in the best way possible <3

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pancakes forever. Love you Beltran, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now the work begins again. See you next year at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This better not be the final post, no Kappa.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I could ever thank you enough for everything you've done for me. Once again I say thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so excited on the first day of school when I saw "APLANG-BELTRAN" on my schedule due to so many cool things I heard from previous juniors. I didn't really know what I was getting into, except "you can present about anything!" and other crazy ideas. Having completed a year myself I now know how much more it is, and fully understand why they enjoyed it so much. This year has been an experience ill cherish with me always. #pancakes Thank you for an amazing year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for a great year Beltran. I have to admit I was skeptical at the beginning of the year, but this class provided an experience like no other. I can candidly say that it was one of the highlights of my year, as it was for so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for an unforgettable year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved every moment. When I felt like crumbling, crying, singing, laughing, cracking open, or hiding into myself. Every moment was special. And everybody else's "moments" we're special to me because I was privileged to see them. I could list more than a dozen moments in room 853 where I felt shell-shocked by the transitions of my people and right after I felt the deepest inner pull to the beauty of our humanity. Cheers to this beautiful spot in Point Loma High School. Love you lots Beltran.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cried reading this. Here's to the Shrek theme song, a little alien, interesting stuff and stuff about stuff, a class where I finally knew everyone's name, and so much love that lit up my day. How lucky I was to get the chance to be apart of such an amazing class. I'll never forget Room 853

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beltran you are one of the most beautiful people I've ever met and i can never thank you enough for creating this space for us to grow, thank you for making me feel like for once I was actually seen by someone and thank you to everyone in period 3, you are all such beautiful people, y'all forever have my heart ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have been one of the best teachers I've had my whole 3 years in high school ! I'm truely going to miss you and your amazing class ! Stay beautiful Mrs.Beltran and teach class of 19 as much as you taught us but remember they can't do it like class of 2018 ❤ Have a great summer

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am forever grateful for everything you have taught us. You have showed us to be the individuals we are and embrace that. Love on top Ms.Beltran! <3 (my phone has been dead all day and I just got home lol)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My uncle wanted to be a teacher because of Dead Poets Society, and I always thought that was silly and unrealistic. But, while we steered clear of dead white men, this class was really one of movies. Completely unforgettable. The sheer level of kindness I saw every day from the students here gave me optimism and faith in humanity through even the rise of the cheeto. Stay rad.

    ReplyDelete
  27. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS AWESOME YEAR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're the best Beltran. Thank you for an amazing year, I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This post, this class, this year, you, all the things I'll miss dearly. Never shy away from being you. Class of 19 is beyond lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad that I was allowed to live, laugh, learn, and step outside of my comfort zone so often in your class. Thank you for everything, and I will see you next school year.

    ReplyDelete
  31. To Mrs. Beltran and my wonderful classmates: you are my all stars, keep breaking the mold every day. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mrs. Beltran,
    Thank you so much for your impact in so many. I love you and our class dearly and I will miss all of the memories that we have made in room 853! It comforts me to know that I can always come back! Thank you for all of your passion and all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only who can't get out of the habit.

      Delete
  34. I had to read this again to reminisce a little. I miss my classmates and the dancing and all the memories we made ): thank you Beltran, for everything❤

    ReplyDelete
  35. This post is written proof of everything I have ever understood, "the Beltran experience," to be. There's a lot to look forward to this year, I only hope I can relish in said experience before I'm buried under the stress of junior year! Thanks for making the first day bearable Beltran

    ReplyDelete