Monday, February 27, 2017

Oliver Sacks Week (and other stuff)

Hope you enjoyed your rainy Monday - wish we could have had class in our fuzzy socks while wrapped in blankets with a hot cup of coffee but c'est la vie. 

Because of Formal Articulation, we will be in the Counseling Office tomorrow.  Make sure you come to class FIRST and then we'll go...Since we won't be together, please take it upon yourself to watch the Oliver Sacks TED Talk and take quality notes.  He really was an amazing thinker and awesome human being.  

When we meet for class on Wednesday, you shall share some of your OS findings with each other so fill your mind palace with good stuff.  Teaching others is the best way to learn.

I also mentioned last night's Academy Award winner for Best Picture "Moonlight".  While none of this will be on your 6 weeks test, (Oliver Sacks will) I still think it's interesting enough to check out.  Here's an NPR interview from Fresh Air with director Barry Jenkins and the writer Tarell McCraney.  Telling stories, reading stories, writing stories = THE BEST THING EVER!!! And shout out to Viola Davis for now holding an Emmy, Oscar and Tony!

Love and Light,
Beltran

P.S. - Any of you young writers?  Check out this awesome opportunity.  The conference is on Saturday, March 11th and is FREE.

41 comments:

  1. I read this post before class, it's like I'm living in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that Junior year is almost over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should actually have class in fuzzy socks, wrapped in blankets with a hot cup of coffee because that would be the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moonlight was a groundbreaking movie! Its Best Picture win was truly deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Le vent se lève! Il faut tenter de vivre!


    Please someone understand my reference so I don't look crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "THE WIND IS RISING, WE MUST TRY TO LIVE!" Miyazki Films and anything Studio Ghibli is beyond amazing!!! <3 I'm so sad he retired :(

      Delete
    2. While I never saw that movie, that's a very beautiful quote

      Delete
    3. I'm sure I'm not the only one that cried 3 times during that movie :(

      Delete
  6. It's raining' men.... or man (Oliver Sacks)... Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ted talk on my own??? Wont be the same as in class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I screamed across the hallway at you that I got a job... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first time I get to lay down and eat rice crispies while watching a TED Talk!!!!!!
    -Carlos Leyva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could someone please fill me in about that 6 weeks test? Might have missed that from my absences last week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "He smiled a smile that even Edvard Munch might have wanted to paint"

    ReplyDelete
  12. PSA don't wear fuzzy socks in the rain then on hard floors you'll slip and fall and almost die like I did 234 times today

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our boy Cicierga should mix So What'cha Want by Beastie Boys and Wannabe by Spice girls.... that would be so many "What'cha want"s in one song

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about this truly insightful, amazing soul. Can't wait to teach and learn more on Wednesday!
    "We speak not only to tell other people what we think, but to tell ourselves what we think. Speech is a part of thought." -Oliver Sacks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'll watch my Ted Talk in fuzzy socks , wrapped in a blanket with hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the CCA link! Already trying to plan my weekend around it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ted talk won't be the same as in class.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh thank you for exposing me to Oliver Sacks! Ordering Awakenings right now! Neurology and psychology are kind of my things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Today was such a good lesson thank you Mr. Compagnone! Oh, wait sorry wrong envelope

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm quite interested in Hallucinations. Also, that writing opportunity sounds great; I'm a TA at a writing summer camp but love any options to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whenever I complain about having to swim in the rain, everybody simply responds, "But you're already wet, it doesn't matter."

    ReplyDelete
  22. I advise you all to watch Awakenings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. okay but La La Lands musical composition... so good! like damn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Insomniac city was 20% off at Barnes and Noble!

    ReplyDelete
  25. RIP Oliver Sacks, at least you will be immortalized through your work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This guy is super interesting, it's sad to see that one of his best books is out of print :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. At least now I can enjoy my fuzzy socks in bed at home and read an nice book to fill my mind palace with more knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Oscars was amazing, my favorite part is when they do the memorial for all of those who have died in the past year. I really enjoyed the whole show.

    ReplyDelete