Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Fever Persists

My munchkin is still feeling under the weather so I will be home with her again tomorrow.  My partner in crime will stay with her on Thursday if necessary so plan on seeing me then for MORE DISCUSSION ABOUT East of Eden.  I feel (based on your emails and those index cards) that there is more to be said.  Specifically we will be discussing Cathy and the theme of good versus evil so prepare your thinking about that for class.

Friday will be SAS as usual.

For tomorrow, though, you will need to HAVE WATCHED and TAKEN NOTES on the TED Talk I linked yesterday.  It's 30 minutes long so plan accordingly.  In class I expect you to answer the following questions and leave your work in the class tray.  Please WORK ALONE.

If you happen to finish early, work on your Interesting Stuff Journal and/or prep for Thursday's class discussion.

Apologies for being absent but life happens.

Questions Below...
1.   Why did Chimamanda Adichie feel that she had to describe herself as "a happy African feminist who does not hate men and who likes lip gloss and who wears high heels for herself but not for men"?
2.   Adichie lists some ways that marriage can have a positive impact. List at least 3 of them.
3.   What do you think is meant by the Nigerian expression, "bottom power"? Write it in your own words.
4.   In your view, is there still room for progress in the journey towards the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes? Explain and support your view.

5.   Defend, challenge AND qualify Adichie’s claim that we should “all be feminists” by creating a chart that lists all the evidence for, against, and “in between”.  Aim to have at least 3-5 reasons for each column.

27 comments:

  1. This sounds like my type of party

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( That sucks... Well, I hope the recovery is speedy. See you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good and Evil and in between.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope she feels better! see you thursday! Use Vaporub!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope the little kiddo gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the little one feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping for a speedy recovery! On another note, happy birthday to Maya Angelou!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope to see your thursday Beltran and I hope your little one feels better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope that she feels better. See you on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm gonna miss you tomorrow, but I know she needs you more! Hope she feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your daughter feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to discuss East of Eden even more! I absolutely loved the book (if you couldn't already tell)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A truly captivating talk that just so happens to align with the day...
    Sending my best towards your little one, may the fever not persist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to our discussion on Cathy and the concept of good vs. evil.

    ReplyDelete