Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Twenty Years

Dear Periods 1 and 2 (and all of you who read),

Thank you for a beautiful ending to my 20th year in the classroom.  I couldn't have imagined a more perfect way to close out the year.  There's a ton I could say about the wonderful TED Talks from your classes or even the last go 'round of dancing, but I'll just say this:  Thank You.

When I stepped into my first classroom two decades ago (Room 109 at Fondren Middle School), I could never have imagined how much my "job" would hand me: relationships, connections, life lessons, opportunities, growth, failure, love.  Lots and lots of love.

Having grown up with very little in the way of stuff, my mother did her best to fill my sister and me up with self-worth, confidence, and love.  We shopped at discount stores, wore thrifted clothes (and it wasn't because we were trendy), ate free and reduced lunch.  We sweated with no A/C and shivered with no heat but through it all, she taught us that we had so much and thus had so much to give.

I hope that my efforts as your teacher this year gave you something - whether it be a test strategy or a strategy to navigate life.  Because life is hard but you still need to show up.

Much love and light to all of you.  Thank you for making Room 853 magical.

I am grateful.

Love and Light,
Beltran

P.S. - Goodbye dear blog.  You have served me well.  If any of you want to still "hear" from me remember that I can be found on Instagram (@beltranbooks) and at Mostly Love Now.  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Cannot believe this year is over, thank you so much for everything!

    ReplyDelete