Friday, June 1, 2018

The Story of Fear (and TED Talk Info)

There were only a few of you here today - not even enough lovelies to constitute an entire class.  The first thing I heard when I rose this morning was from the beloved who said he'd received a ton of emails.  (I went to bed early and watched clips of Ellen on youtube because she's all about kindness so I was not on my email or social media.)  At any rate, the hubby and I felt appreciated that so many students reached out to update us.  That appreciation quickly turned to sadness at the state of the society we live in when kids have to be afraid to go to school.

Kids are afraid to go to school.

Of course, some absentees likely used the information to enjoy a day off of school (and to enjoy the beautiful weather) but some - to be sure - were, in fact, afraid.

Fear.

That's a bit of a beast, isn't it?

As a minority woman, I know my share of fear.  In fact, it used to be the constant narrative of my life.  I was scared to try, to speak up, to go over there, to fail, to get the answer wrong, to mess up, to order something new off the menu.

Then I read a book (you knew that was coming) and a piece of it stuck to my heart.

I'll share it below and wish you a happy weekend.

(Oh, TED Talks start Monday.  If you are presenting BRING YOUR BLANK RUBRIC.  And, Period 3, y'all are a hot mess.  Anyone know why??)

Love and Light,
Beltran

"Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told.  I decided I was safe.  I was strong.  I was brave.  Nothing could vanquish me."  ~Cheryl Strayed, Wild

P.S. - Not going to lie, though.  I did wear sneakers today.  Just in case.

3 comments:

  1. Your support is a beacon in a sea on sadness Beltran, we students who were up at 2am appreciate you to no end

    ReplyDelete