Friday, December 16, 2016

Holiday Truth Tea

Dear Lovelies,

2016 has been a difficult year for me personally.

I unexpectedly lost my mother to an aggressive stage four form of breast cancer on May 30th of this year.  Her diagnosis to her death was a whopping 13 days.  Her death came five days after I turned 40 and on the same day my older sister turned 42.  I held my mom's left hand as she took her final breath; my sister held her right.  And in that moment - the moment I saw my mother die - my whole world shattered.

My mother was a warrior - a single mom who worked the night shift at the local police department in order to drive us to school.  She was a role model - an inspiration to her two children who saw hard work, compassion, and kindness every single day.  (I didn't know chewing gum came in long sticks until I was in college because everything we ever had was split in two and shared.) To put it simply: my mother was my giant, my rock, my everything.  

I share this with you not to garner sympathy or pity but to let you know that this is the first holiday without the anchor of my family.  It's been a few months of "firsts" - the first day of school without my champion, the first Thanksgiving without her voice in my ear, the first time I have come home with a truckload of gifts from my students and I can't call her to wax poetic about how lucky I am to be your teacher.

I don't think you know how truly thankful I am for the love and light you bestow upon me - and I'm not talking about the generous gifts many of you took the time to give me.  I'm talking about the willingness to give our class a chance, the courage to step out of your Circle Thingy every single day, the hello's and goodbye's you offer each moment we get to share.

I know I am not perfect and I'm not fool enough to think you all speak of me positively but I do know that my days are made better because I get to do what I love (teach) in a place I adore (Room 853) with human beings (you) who remind me that hope is not a lost cause.

I wish you ALL the happiest of holidays.  May the road rise to meet each of you and may you know you are loved.

Love and Light and Happy 2017,
Beltran

p.s. - No mandatory Daily Journals but write if you'd like.

3 comments: