Saturday, September 24, 2016

Top Ten Books (for Tay and the rest of you who asked...)

It's nearly impossible for me to narrow down my top ten favorite books.  That's like asking a mother to decide which of her children she loves the most.  But I'll give it my best shot...

Tiny Beautiful Things - Cheryl Strayed
A compilation of advice columns that I consider a manual for life.

The Inner Tradition of Yoga - Michael Stone
Teachings on the history and philosophy of yoga.

Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
A coming of age story about Janie, an older woman whose life is an inspiration to all.

Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now - Maya Angelou
Teachings from a woman I consider one of my greatest teachers.

How to Love - Thich Nhat Hanh 
Meditations on the mindful practice of love.  Simplistic but profound.

In the Lake of the Woods - Tim O'Brien
A husband and wife mystery that sheds light on the secrets we all carry within.

The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver
A novel about the mother/daughter dynamic.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
A story of Mariam and Laila, two girls born in different generations but whose lives intersect and show the connectedness of us all.  

The Little House on the Prairie Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Beloved history of Laura Wilder and her beautiful, enviable family.

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
A novel that shows what happens when our creations destroy.  

Why these?  Each holds a special place in my heart for not only the lessons they taught, but for the time at which the lessons appeared.  The old saying goes, when the student is ready, the teacher appears.

Reading is as essential as breathing.  I can't wait to share more throughout the year.  Oh, and any of you super interested can follow Ann Patchett's independent bookstore blog.  She posts a list of recommended books monthly.  Find her site HERE.  Last night I had the chance to listen to her speak at USD.  Let me leave you with her words, "I care that you read, not how you read."

Love and Light, Lovelies...
Beltran



3 comments:

  1. i think i read the little house on the prairie series at least 10 times when i was little. love it from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You recommended Tiny Beautiful Things to me last year to deal with some specific things in my life and it REALLY helped. I just picked it up the other day because I need to be reminded of some advice from one of my favorite advice columns...Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of Tiny Beautiful Things in my drawer right now. Can't wait to lay on the beach this weekend and soak in all the goodness that is Cheryl Strayed!

    ReplyDelete