Saturday, July 4, 2015

Why College is the Best

Yesterday and today I received a gift. My best friend of 20 years came to visit. Instead of typing papers and eating grilled cheeses at Denny's at 2am, we wrangled kids, played tee ball, and discussed work. But in between all the grown up stuff, in that gap of quiet, she was still Ro - the first person I met as I lugged boxes into my dorm, the girl who held my hand when my heart was first broken, the one I called first when I met The One.

College is amazing for so many reasons - the academics, the diversity, the independence, but really, my most valuable takeaway? The community. The friendships.  The connection.

If you're reading this still and stressing out a little or a lot about college and questioning why? Why? Why?  The why is meeting people you'd never otherwise meet. The why is living with your closest friends. The why is doing laundry with your roomie at midnight. The why is watching your kids play together 20 years later and laughing.

Here's to college and to my girl Ro.

Xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Since freshman year, my mind came to believe that college just wasn't for me but Ms. Beltran, you may have changed that this year. Plus, I admit I was extremely stubborn about the topic. So, thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading this made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete