Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Starbucks & Scores

I can't fall asleep. It's 11:36pm Chicago time and the house is quiet, but here I am - wide awake. Just thinking. First off, I wonder who's reading this?  And then I wonder if you got your AP scores today. I saw them. They're good but some of you didn't get the scores you wanted. And some of you did. And some of you got 5s and are just as wide eyed as me except your excitement has little to do with guzzling an iced coffee too late in the day. Wherever you landed in the linear land of 1-5, I hope you know that the 9 months we shared in class didn't come down to one number. But since we live in this world, congrats to you all for knowing that an exam result will not determine your fate.


Xoxo

P.S. Out of all the PLHS AP Lang test takers, only 7 earned the perfect score of 5.

P.P.S.  6 of those 7 scores were earned in the class where there was dancing, coloring and a boatload of stuff about stuff. Long live being outside the box.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm still reading, but I can't decide whether I want to check my score or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This paragraph calmed my nerves. It is a good feeling knowing that my teacher won't have a grudge against me if i fail the test. However, my goal is to pass the test so I can show you that I care about your class. Because you care about our success not just on the test but in life. Jrc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking back others past experiences in the same situation that I am in currently. Although we've just begun the school year, I can already feel the stress of junior year beginning to set in. As you said in class today, (Period 3) you mentioned how you want your class so become a type of sanctuary. I agree! Reading a post like this has allowed me to calm down a bit, and set my head on straight... I'm ready for an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is relieving to know that you care about the growth of your students as individuals as well as their performance on tests and assessments.

    ReplyDelete