Thursday, July 2, 2015

My Teacher

I've been lucky enough to have experienced the masterful teaching of many individuals. Vicky Murry in 6th and 7th grades, Professor Cox at Rice University, Valerie Stevenson from Patrick Henry HS and most recently, Sarah Clark - my beloved yoga teacher. I crossed paths with Sarah as a result of synchronicity. A former colleague had a student teacher. That student teacher happened to be training as a yoga teacher as well. She needed people to practice her teaching on so I was asked to join in on a backyard class. That was in August of 2012. By that September, I found myself on a yoga mat in La Jolla at Prana Yoga Center and there before me was a teacher named Sarah Clark. To say she changed my life is an understatement because after experiencing that first Vinyasa Flow class where I was humbled beyond belief, I began to study yoga. I won't bore you with what that means because some of you already know and those who don't will get there eventually but Sarah Clark is the kind of teacher who makes you believe again.  In fact, I told her after a year of study that I finally realized what some of my students meant when they complimented me with gracious words like "inspiring", "role model", "amazing". And more importantly, I understood the depth of their "thank you". For me Sarah is magic. Beautiful, strong, intelligent, kind - the me I want to be when I grow up.

Recently, Sarah has been writing daily entries on her blog and I wanted to share her most recent with you today. Indulge if you'd like and check out her other writing too.

 Maybe I'll even look over one day from my mat and see you there.

Xoxo


4 comments:

  1. I can tell that you post on this wonderful blog, out of joy and your love for helping others earn. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I found the reading very interesting, especially the part about the third yama.

    - “this makes the contemplation of the third yama extra interesting. the third yama is named asteya. strictly put, asteya tells us, “do not steal””

    I just watched a TED talk presented by Dame Ellen MacAthur, she points out that our world economy is liner, but it should be circular. I don’t want to give it away but if you watch the ted talk I’m sure that the connection to the third yama can be made.

    Link to the TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/dame_ellen_macarthur_the_surprising_thing_i_learned_sailing_solo_around_the_world#t-995558

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems as though we never really outgrow our roles as students, even after we've left school. Thank you for sharing a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete