Wednesday, February 26, 2014

We See What We Want to See

I cannot contain myself.  Before I go, I have to share some lines I just read.

"It is a tricky process to make a class full of high schoolers understand that in order to write, you must know.  In order to know, you must read.  In order to read you must have the desire to be here."

On the other hand, here's this:

"I find it disturbing that we're not asked to do more.  I don't know what there is to 'get', but I am getting frustrated.  I doubt they would have a class on writing if it wasn't teachable."

Can I please write in all caps NOW?

Two totally different viewpoints and both valid obviously.  All of this is a tricky process because I care enough to ask and get annoyed by your answers.  First off, AP Language is not a writing class.  It is a class on critical thinking.  Period.  The fact that you are asked to synthesize aforementioned thoughts into written form is a byproduct of the critical thinking.  Secondly, the whole point of this course is to create and inspire learners who don't need to be asked to do anything.  You should want to do more because you are curious, interested, intrigued.  Because you want to better yourself.  Workers are asked to do things.  Thinkers do them.  Mindless robots are asked to do things.  What is there to get?  Exactly my point.  Everything is available to each of you.  You just have to go get it instead of lazily expecting things to come to you.

Clear cut instructions follow:
1.  Stand up.
2.  Walk to a mirror.
3.  Look at your face.
4.  Ask yourself who is in charge of your life, your learning, your future?
5.  Rinse and repeat daily until you get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment