Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Danger of a Single Story

I hope y'all enjoyed the videos today - all very timely, insightful, and needed. I particularly love Chimamanda Adiche's talk on the danger of a single story. It is our jobs as human beings to see multiple perspectives, to educate ourselves against the "flattened experience" and to be out of our circle thingys so we can realize that we are all more alike than different. It's a good lesson to remember.  And as I was taught today, sometimes all it takes is one person to stand up and say, "enough".

What we used to whisper in the back of class is now being typed online. We edit ourselves and present a facade to the world in the name of connection. Use your social media for good. I'm @yrbeltran. Just sayin'.

See you tomorrow for MC#1.

Xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you chose to stay here, in all meanings of the word.

    ReplyDelete