Tuesday, March 11, 2014

You Tested...

...I read, and boy did I find some good stuff.  I'll keep most to share on Friday, but below is a cool link to an article I cannot stop thinking about.

704

"Own less.  Live more."  These people built a home for themselves that is all of 704 square feet.  In a society obsessed with size (the average home these days is at least 2500 square feet), it seems that we are constantly being bombarded with the idea that more is better.

I didn't grow up in a big house - 2 bedrooms, 1 bath.  Our kitchen was so small that you could sit at the round table and open the refrigerator without getting up.  I'm not sure how many square feet it was - my mom's since moved to a bigger house that has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a study and a dining room (she lives alone).  But what I do recall from that house is the feeling of literal and spiritual closeness with my mom and sister.  It was a home that housed our triumphs and struggles and fears and successes.

So this article really made me think.  Why is it that I believe (like so many of us do) that bigger is better?  Who says a big house equals success?  I know plenty of people (and I bet you do, too) who have lots of nice things - cars, clothes, gadgets - and big houses to boot - whose life is but a sham of shiny, sparkly things that glitter but aren't gold.

Hmm...Just read the article and think on it.

For class, come with your 2013 Synthesis packet so we can work on writing an essay together.  See y'all then.

xoxo

p.s. - period 2, I found a new washer.  And my eyeball is doing fine.  Besos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment