Friday, March 28, 2014

Presentations, Spring Break, and More

Our TED Talk this week spoke of the paradox of choice and how "the secret to happiness is low expectations".  I certainly wasn't very "happy" per say with a majority of your presentations that did not seem professional and in control.  Some of you might not understand why presentation skills are important in this day and age of technology, increased social media, and less face-to-face contact, but the ability to "speak with authority" as Taylor Mali says is an earmark of a successful person.  Obviously success means different things to different people, but I know of no one who aspires to be tuned out, laughed at, or secretly mocked.  I'm not saying I did those things - well, not all of them at least - but the point is:  be a good presenter or no one will listen to a word you're saying.  Most of you were just as bored as I was, right?  And most of us could tell the people who pulled their work together at the last minute, and we could tell the ones who can "own" a room.

A high quality presentation/presenter has some common characteristics:
- interesting
- energetic
- knowledgeable about their subject
- appropriately dressed (I'll come back to this one)
- dynamic
- funny
- engaging
- interesting

How did your presentation stack up?  How did you?

As for the "appropriately dressed" one, period 2 mostly rocked that.  Thank you.  And several of you in other classes came close, but one stood out and what I found interesting was that this particular presenter was asked why he was so dressed up.  I muttered under my breath in the back of the room, "Because he freakin' knows how to do a presentation."  

I wore workout pants, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes (sneakers to some of you) on purpose.  I wasn't presenting.  I wanted to relax and be comfortable in case I fell asleep or had to run away at a high speed.  You always, always dress the part.  Period.

I've blabbered on for enough time - feel familiar?  Suffice it to say, I will teach you how to do better.  And once you know better, you will do better.  TED Talks are in 10 weeks.

Read a few things, feed your brain, and I'll see you in a week.

Happy Spring Break.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment