Monday, May 5, 2014

More on My Mind

Period 2, you are creating cheat sheets but my eye is not drawn to those of you nose deep in notes or frantically flipping pages.  My eye is drawn to the kid sitting quite casually, pencil in hand - yawning, doodling, scratching his hair.  And my mind floats to a future that is both unwritten and unseen.  How will this kid ever make it?  How will this kid change the world and make it better than he found it?  And it scares me if I let it - thinking about the big, bad world that all of us live in and how your generation has only known speed, technology, and peeking into other people's lives one tweet or post at a time.  Who are you and who will you become?

Something interesting happened to me last week that I think perfectly highlights why my fears are credible.  I was at home doing the mama thing when my phone dinged.  I checked the text and there was a question about something grammatical.  I didn't know the answer off the top of my head so I opened up Safari and googled it.  I found the answer, closed the tab, and texted back the person with the query.  Easy peasey.

I went about my life.

Something you should know about me - empath me - is that oftentimes I wake up from a dead sleep with an answer or a vision or a certain clarity that I didn't have before.  It's really weird but it's how I find missing items or answer conundrums of both the heart and mind.  This night I woke up in a dark house with fear on my heart and a little bit of anger too.  Why the hell could this person not have done what I did to find the answer to their grammar question?  I didn't know the answer.  I looked it up.  I figured it out.  What I had done earlier in the day was the work - the heavy lifting - for a person of a generation that knows only easiness and privilege.  And it made me so scared.

I went to check on my girls - blissed out in sleep and unaware of the perils of the world.  And I remembered that just because you have a tool doesn't mean you need to become one.

Long live pen and paper.  Long live digging deep and making mistakes.  Long live killing your tv and iPhone and iPad.  Long live playing outside and falling down and being able to pick yourself up.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment